Saturday, December 31, 2011

I resolve NOT to be a Toss Pot for 2012

It's almost the New Year of 2012. If you had stood in front of me 5 years ago and told me that I would be where I am now I would have said you were nutters. It's amazing how my life has changed and blossomed. The blending of the new and the old things in my life has been an amazing process. I'll say it again and again I truly am blessed.  A few highlights of the year 2011:
     I joined twitter.(@ladystrange73) adding one more social network to my cadre. I am finding it a challenge to express myself in 140 characters. I think it will help me learn the skill of being more honed in how I express myself.  It also doesn't hurt that with a few clicks I can support my friend Kelly by helping to promote her wonderful book "the Readheaded Stepchild" .
In one of my more surreal moments I actually have been chatting with the drummer of one of my very most favorite band Def Leppard.  It's amazing how technology brings us all closer together.
Mind you he's not a "friend" in the sense of the word but the exchange of ideas on vegetarianism, drumming , charity, etc. has been amazing. His charity Raven Drum Foundation does a lot of work with our veterans.
     I became a host mom to an exchange student. He is a great guy and I have really enjoyed getting to know him. I have new friends in Italy and I cannot wait to visit them. I have learned much about Italian culture ..now if I could just learn to speak fluent Italian. He tries to teach me but my inability to roll my "r" is quiet inhibiting.
It has been quiet fun being a contributor to international diplomacy. Having a teenager in the house has helped me remember what it was like to be starting out on the journey to adulthood.  It's wonderful to have laughter in my home.
     I had my 20ish high school class reunion and I reconnected with my roots. I got one of those rare second chance moments to "right some wrongs" with some people who had been casualties in some bad decisions I made after high school. That's the thing about great friends. No matter what they forgive and welcome you back in after they get through reminding you how dumb and stupid you were being at the time. Many tears of joy were shed that night (by me )and I felt the world shift and things were starting to really feel like they were getting back on the track where they should be.
     I got to see Def Leppard from the second row of the Sprint Center. I never had been closer than the nosebleeds at any Leppard concert before and to get to be close enough to almost touch them was heaven. I got to meet Phil Collen's lovely wife Helen,  an album cover signed by the guys, Guitar pick from Rick Savage (who liked my Sheffield Wednesday scarf) and I met Vivian Campbell and took a pic with him after the show (thanks to my new Concert buddy Marni).
  Back to the future. I already have my theme song "Undefeated " by Def Leppard  for 2012 (actually I adopted it in 2011 when Mirrorball came out) as I think it's quite appropriate. No matter what I'm always ready to get back up and go right back into the fray.
     Realizing that no matter what as long as I have my health , my faith and the ability to work the rest of it will fall into place as it should be. I will continue to grow and change and hopefully get a few more second chances to undo some mistakes of the past.
   So that being said I asked Rick Allen (@rickallenlive) last night on twitter if I could "borrow" his New Years resolution. He said "please do :)" so here it is. Summing it all up in one sentence. For 2012 "I resolve to try to not be a Toss Pot."




1 comment: